1998-99 COACHING STAFF
HEAD COACH Bernard Tomlin -
Highlights of Coach Tomlin's Coaching Experience include:
- Named 1997-98 N.E.C.C. Coach of the Year.
- Entering his 8th season as Stony Brook's men's basketball coach.
- Coach Tomlin has a 90-93 lifetime record as Stony Brook Head Coach,
entering this season.
- Head coach of the Long Island Surf (professional USBL) in 1991. Coached
Anthony Mason (Charlotte Hornets) while coach of the Surf.
- Assistant Coach for the University of Rhode Island for 3 years (1988-
- Head Coach of Adelphi University in 1987-88.
- Head Coach of William Patterson College in 1986-87. Led team to a 20-9
record, and an ECAC playoff appearance.
- Assistant Coach at Duquesne University, St. Bonaventure University,
and his alma-mater Hofstra.
Highlights of Coach Tomlin's Playing Experience include:
- A standout performer at Hofstra University. Coach Tomlin led the Flying
Dutchmen to their first ever NCAA Division I Tournament appearance as a
- In his junior season at Hofstra, Coach Tomlin led the team in scoring,
averaging 19.8 points per contest and was named to the All-East Coast
- Coach Tomlin still holds the Hofstra record for most field goals in a game
- Coach Tomlin is the Flying Dutchmen's all-time free throw percentage
- Prior to playing at Hofstra, Coach Tomlin suited up for the University of
Utah Running Utes, where he scored a whopping 30.2 points per game and
was named conference Rookie of the Year.
- Following his senior year at Hofstra, Coach Tomlin was selected in the
1976 NBA College Draft by the New Orleans Jazz. A sixth round selection,
Coach Tomlin was the final cut made before the regular season.
- In high school, Coach Tomlin starred for Malverne in Nassau County and
still holds the all-time scoring record for points in a game with 45.
Highlights of Coach Tomlin's Personal life include:
- Coach Tomlin graduated from Hofstra in 1976 with a degree in Social
- During the summer months, Coach Tomlin serves as Director of the
University at Stony Brook Superstars Basketball Camp.
- Coach Tomlin also gives lectures and serves as a coach at various camps
in the East.
- Coach Tomlin currently resides in Hempstead with his wife Della, who is
the director of the general studies program at Adelphi University.
- Coach Tomlin and his wife have two daughters, Dana (12) and Dawn (9).
ASSISTANT COACH Dean Murray -
Highlights of Assistant Coach Murray's Coaching Experience include:
- Dean Murray enters his 3rd season with the Seawolves, after spending
the prior four seasons as an assistant at Division I Charleston Southern
- Murray's responsibilities at Stony Brook include serving as the program's
recruiting coordinator, scouting of opponents, team conditioning
and serving as the assistant director of the University at Stony Brook's
Superstar Summer camp.
- At CSU, Murray was responsible for the recruitment of two of the
program's best classes ever, as well as the number one class in the Big
South Conference in 1993-94. The 1995 CSU team won the Big South
- Prior to CSU, Murray spent two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at
Division I Coastal Carolina. During his stay at Coastal Carolina, the
Chanticleers were 30-2 in conference play and advanced to the 1991 NCAA
Highlights of Assistant Coach Murray's Personal life include:
- Murray is a 1988 graduate of Appalachian State University where he played
four years of basketball and also lettered in baseball. His coach at
Appalachian State, Kevin Cantwell, is currently a member of the Georgia
Tech basketball staff.
- Murray earned his Master's in Education from the University of South
Carolina in 1992.
- Murray lives with his wife Connie in Stony Brook.
ASSISTANT COACH Paul Mokeski -
Highlights of Assistant Coach Mokeski's Coaching Experience include:
- 1st year as a Seawolves assistant coach.
- Mokeski, a 12-year NBA veteran, brings a wealth of basketball
experience to the Seawolves bench. Since retiring from the
NBA in 1991, he has been the head coach of two professional
teams, the Connecticut Skyhawks (USBL) in 1996 and the Hartford
Hellcats (CBA) from 1993-95.
- Mokeski was an assistant coach with the Quad City Thunder (CBA) in
- He has worked for the top basketball clinics in the country such
as the Pro Development Camp, the NBA/CBA Showcase and the Roy
Williams Basketball Camp.
Highlights of Coach Mokeski's Playing Experience include:
- A 1980 draft pick of the Houston Rockets, he played for five different teams
during his 12-year career including the Milwaukee Bucks, Cleveland
Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Golden State Warriors and the Houston Rockets.
- His longest stint came with the Milwaukee Bucks where he played for seven
seasons. He totaled 2,764 points, 2,342 rebounds, 500 assists
and 307 blocked shots during his 12 years in the league.
- A 1979 graduate of Kansas University, Mokeski totaled 945 points, 680
rebounds and 136 blocked shots in his four-year career and still ranks among
the all-time leaders in rebounds (10th) and blocked shots (8th).
Highlights of Coach Mokeski's Personal Life include:
- Mokeski lives with his wife Linda and their two boys Michael and Bryan
in St. James, N.Y.